No union contract, no job security
Nevada is a right to work State, meaning you can be terminated from a job for just cause.
One of the big reasons workers join a union is to ensure fair treatment in the workplace. As a union member, you have a collective voice regarding:
- pay & wages, 30% more than non-union workers
- work hours,
- benefits - including retirement plans, health insurance, vacation and sick leave, tuition reimbursement, etc.,
- working conditions,
- workplace health and safety,
- ways to balance work and family,
- the best ways to get work completed, and
- other work-related issues.
Another advantage of belonging to a union is that members earn 30% more than non-union workers. And if you're a union worker, you are also much more likely to have health and pension benefits.
In addition, unions give workers like you a strong collective voice that's heard in government. Unions represent workers in talks with lawmakers, and remind politicians that working families voted them into office.
Some of the benefits, such as the "weekend", that workers take for granted today were initially provided by unions.